From the ACLU. Please attend if you have the time! The topic is really interesting and relevant: Technology and Civil Rights — Surveillance, Privacy, Censorship in the Digital World
The first part of the meeting will be the monthly meeting of the Santa Clara Valley Chapter of the ACLU, including local updates and discussion.
Following that, we’ll have our Speaker Series. The month’s topic is Technology and Civil Rights — Surveillance, Privacy, Censorship in the Digital World. As technology advances, let’s ensure that protections for privacy and free speech aren’t left behind.
Guest speakers will be;
- Kate Tummarello, Policy Analyst, Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). Founded in 1990, EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. They work to ensure that rights and freedoms are enhanced and protected as our use of technology grows. Kate works on surveillance issues for EFF’s Activism Team. Previously, she covered technology policy in Washington, D.C. including writing about privacy, net neutrality, internet governance, and intellectual property.
- Tessa D’Arcangelew, Leadership Development Manager & Organizer, ACLU of Northern California (the parent organization of the ACLU Santa Clara Valley Chapter). Tessa leads the ACLU NorCal campaign to help cities and counties adopt ordinances that create mechanisms for transparency, accountability, oversight and meaningful community input when considering surveillance technology. Several major cities and counties in the bay area are currently working to adopt such an ordinance.
The agenda for this meeting will be:
- 6:30PM – 7PM: Registration
- 7PM – 7:30PM: ACLU Santa Clara Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting
- Latest ACLU updates on key initiatives, workshops, etc.
- Discussion / Q&A
- 7:30PM – 7:45PM: Presentation by Kate Tummarello
- 7:45PM – 8:00PM: Presentation by Tessa D’Arcangelew
- 8:00PM – 8:30PM: Panel Discussion / Q&A with Kate and Tessa
There is no charge for this event, but seating is limited. Please RSVP to RSVP@acluscv.org
to reserve your spot at this event.
We look forward to seeing you there!
ACLU Santa Clara Valley Chapter